I said, happiness will occur when:
- I finish college and can begin living my life
- I reach an annual income of $x
- I finish my master’s degree
- I reach an annual income of $y
- I get that promotion
- I lose the extra weight I’ve been carrying for far too long
- I get my A1C below 6.0.
After many years of pursuing professional, health, and financial goals, I was shocked to learn that none of those things made me happy.
Happiness is not a result.
Happiness is not an outcome.
I say, I am grateful for:
- The long run I did in the snow
- The unplanned coffee and conversation I stole with my wife
- The laugh I had watching the dog chase his own tail
- The reminder that pizza and beer cause my blood sugar to spike
- The pride I felt seeing a child live according to his values
- The awe I experienced while watching my child dance.
Happiness is a practice.
I create happiness when I am grateful.
Gratitude is best experienced in the moment.
What are you grateful for, right now?